Wednesday, March 23, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

Have you read this book?
 You may have. If not, go buy it today or download it to your Nook or Kindle. I first caught a glimpse of this book when I met Edie and Patty at a  East Tennessee bloggers luncheon. Edie had a copy of the book that maybe Patty or another one of the ladies gave her. I was instantly drawn to the cover. Yes, I know, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but who couldn't be drawn to this book by those beautiful blue eggs tucked into a perfect nest. I forgot the book's title and racked my brain trying to remember it so that I could go and purchase the book for myself.
 Life conveniently continued on and the quest for the book's title was pushed to the back burner. Then Darby and Paige mentioned the book, and BAM, there it was again, and I knew I had to get it. At the bookstore, I picked up the copy of "One Thousand Gifts," that was soon to become my very own, and read the back cover. I felt chills, the good kind. I knew I had to read this book. I won't tell you that when you start reading this book that you will instantly feel, "WOW, now that's inspirational!" The author begins with a recounting of a heart wrenching story, but you somehow look past that. Although the story the author is retelling is not your story, somehow, you feel it is, because at some point in your life, you have felt the same way. Each of us has something that has caused us pain, that may keep us from letting God shower us with the gifts He has in store for us. But if we let go of that pain and desire to protect ourself from hurt, we will be ready to receive God's gifts. Three ladies who have moved past their own pain and have opened their hearts to God are my own mother who lost her husband tragically, Edie who lost her home in a fire and Paige, who also lost her husband to cancer. Each of these ladies has chosen to live life and to celebrate God's love for them despite tragedy. They have in turn been blessed with God's gifts and share them graciously with others.
Now, go and get your copy of "One Thousand Gifts" and "dare to live fully right where you are."


 
Sharing with Patty at "Finding Serendipity" for Photo A la {M}ode. Patty is another lady who inspires me daily and shares the gifts and talents she has been given to help make the lives of others better. Thanks Patty!
 
{Above Photo Stats for Photo A la {M}ode: Frame 1: f1.8, 1/ 25  ISO 1000
                                                                    Frame 2: f 1.8, 1/250, ISO1000,
                                                                    Frame 3: f 1.8, 1/40, ISO1000.
All shot were taken with my 35mm 1.8 prime lens.}

9 comments:

KimberFNP said...

I have the sample of this book on my Kindle, but I think instead of buying the Kindle copy, I will buy the hard cover because of the cover; I plan to use that pretty blue in my new condo when move, and I love books laying around. I read some of the sample, it's definitely on my ever-growing "to read" list.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lovely book, I will have to pick up a copy next time I am at borders. I love your nest as well, where did you find such a cute one?

paige said...

just finished it yesterday.
wow.
just all i can say
is
wow!

you are a precious friend to me
ox

erin said...

yes! i love this book - and actually feel like the start to my blog earlier this year was a gift that was that was confirmed when i read this book! http://erinsbitsandbobs.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-thousand-gifts.html

adorable blog by the way! i'm new to all this :)

Nancy said...

I will have to get a copy of this book. It sounds so inspirational, and, yes, that is a very beautiful cover. I can see why you were so drawn to this book.

I have to add that without my faith, I would not have made it through a very dark time in my life, and I so much appreciate your comments in regard to this. Just this very morning when I awoke, my heart was very heavy, but there sitting at the end of my bed was my Savior, who comforted me and answered a question that had been tormenting me for some time. I was then able to start my day with a real song in my heart.

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Even with the my sweet Lord and Savior walking with on eeveryday, one can't help feel the haunting experience of emotional abuse by someone long gone.

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

When we have been hurt so deeply it's so hard t olet go of that pain. It wrenches our soul because the pain is so raw and unexplainable. The letting go takes time, the forgiving takes time too. We are not perfect, but our Father is. Cling to Him. He loves you with His whole heart and knows your pain. Let him help you let go of it. I know it's difficult, I have been there too. Let this season of Lent and remembering our Saviour death on the cross help you to let go of some of the pain and let your heart be renewed again in our Lord. Your pain is real, but so is God's love for you. Know you are seen by Him, acknowledged by Him, loved by Him, healed by Him . . .

Brenda Ledbetter said...

I guess one has to remove them selves from things that make them remember the abuse, flee from all the forces that prompt the memories of such terror. The Lord would not want us to waller in the pain, he gives us the mental and physical ability to rise above it and with a walk with HIM as our truest friend indeed I know one can overcome past terror, humulation and abuse, I have to work on this for myself, but with out my faith I couldn't have come as far as I have and I need not let others tear it down. I myself need to flee from the bad memories that keep the pain alive and trust in Hevenly Comfort for that is what is true and stable.

patty said...

amy-you are so sweet... thank-you so much for those compliments! :)
and i love that you took inspiration from the cover and came up with that beautiful shot... it's lovely.
edie actually gave that book to me and i've been enjoying it slowly, savoring it all. it seems like each sentance has something inspirational that i want to remember.
hope you are having a wonderful week..

love to you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...