Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lemon Drop Cupcakes and a Photography Question

Emma-Caroline has been itching to make me some birthday cupcakes ever since she received a cupcake baking kit for her own birthday.  The kit came with several recipes, and we finally decided that we would try the Lemon Drop Cupcakes first. Emma-Caroline did all the work, with a slight help from me, and they are delicious. We used mini cupcake tins which made 30 mini cupcakes. Here is the recipe for you to try:
Now that you have the recipe (if you can't read the card above, I'll send you the recipe), here is my photography question.  OK check out both the cupcake photo above and this first one below. Both photos were taken with my Tamron, 18-270mm lens zoomed and uncropped. I took the last photo with my new Nikon 50mm 1.4 prime lens. It has been cropped. My question is this. I am finding that with the 50 mm 1.4 prime lens, I have to stand further back in order to have my image in focus. I can't get a true macro shot on my own with the lens unless I crop it down. I don't like that. Am I doing something wrong or am I expecting too much from my prime lens. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I just don't want to get frustrated with it because I am expecting it to do things it's really not capable of doing. Any thoughts/insights on this would be appreciated. What I have learned is that I love the new lens for close ups of my children and other people's children. I know that is one of it's best features. But I also really love my Tamron lens because I can make it work for what I want it to do. OK now take a look at the bottom two photos and tell me your thoughts. I've also posted their photo stats so you can see the difference in what I had to do to essentially get the same photo with different lenses.
Above photo taken with Tamron 18-270mm lens for Nikon. Stats: f 6.3, 1/100, ISO 1000
This photo was taken with my new Nikon 50 mm 1.4 prime lens. Photo Stats: f 1.4, 1/2000, ISO 200
I am linking to Patty at Finding Serendipity for Photo a la {M}ode. Come on over, she's having a give away!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey Amy! I have a Cannon 50 mm lens. It takes super sharp photos, but has some limitations. You do have to be back a little to focus and I also get frustrated with the narrow frame sometimes, but that may not be a problem with your new camera if it is a full-frame camera. It would do better taking a picture of the tray of cupcakes with the one in front in really good focus, than "zooming" in on one cupcake. I love it for really making eyes pop in photos and taking pictures inside at low light. I use my zoom lens when I want to zoom in on small details.

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Can't help you on this one. But I think the cupcake picture before the last one is the clearest and sharpest in detail. Only you expert camera ladies will probably know what made the difference. The cupcakes look delicious and are so pretty..., I will have to try the receipe sometime really soon. Yum, Yum, Yum!!! I know Emma Caroline had lots of fun making them.

Love you all,

Aunt Brenda - Memphis, TN

Pam said...

I agree with Brenda. That one is much clearer and the colors are more vivid. In both pictures the cupcake sure does look yummy!

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

Thanks Amanda! that helps. I learned my other lens really well and I am use to being able to maniputlate it now to get the photo I want. I think i will focus on using the prime lens when I know it will be for portrait pics, which is really what it is for.
Aunt Brenda and Pam, y'all helped me too. I appreciate your encouragement!

patty said...

thanks for continuing to link-up, amy! how am i going to recruit more people?!?!

about the lens, most lenses, unless they are specifically macro, can't focus unless they are a set distance away, i think most are about a foot? your lens manual should tell you. that's what frustrates me about static lenses, too. BUT, my tamron 60mm IS a macro, so i deal w being unable to zoom knowing that i have the strength of macro abilities w that lens.

i think you are right... knowing each lens' abilities and function will give you the power to capture the shot you want... (if you have time to switch the lens!!) ;o

btw, i love the images from the tamron lens better, too.... love tamron.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...