Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mr. Bunny Applique

This past week, I have spent some time getting my Etsy shop, Josie-Bea Originals restocked with some new spring items.  I decided while working on these little things that I would kind of give you a step-by-step on how the shirt comes to be. I say kind of because I am leaving out the essential pre-sew steps which include stabilizing the applique fabric, centering the applique on the shirt, hooping, etc. It's important to do every step precisely and to not skip any step. But this is not really a tutorial on machine embroidery. Just a {Thought-You'd-Like-To-Know} kind of thing. So here's where I start on the machine.
I program in two appliques, the circle applique and then Mr. Bunny applique.
Next I sew the first applique with a running stitch, then cut out the shape, and finally follow with a finishing satin stitch on the applique.
I use these AWESOME scissors to cut out the appliques. They allow me to get right up to the edge of the running stitch so there is no excess fabric. My appliques would not look as clean without these scissors.
On top of the first applique, I repeat the steps above for Mr. Bunny applique.
After cutting out Mr. Bunny, he is ready for the finishing satin stitch.
 Almost complete, Mr. Bunny now has whiskers.
 And, the finished product with Josie-Bea Originals label and hang tag. All ready for my Etsy store.
Please come by my Josie-Bea Originals Etsy store, if you get a chance. I had scaled back my offerings after my hand injury, but now I am up and running again and adding new things weekly. I am also excited that Josie-Bea Originals shirts and gift items are going to be available at two local Knoxville stores, Jack and Jill and The Social Butterfly of Echelon. Hope y'all are having a great weekend. Now I am off to do some more sewing!

7 comments:

pludra1945@msn.com said...

That is really interesting how you achieve this....You are so talented,creative and patient....

Aunt Linda

Nancy said...

Amy, I'm so glad that you are back in the Josie-Bea business again because: (1) Your work is so adorable, and I think people appreciate the uniqueness and quality of your work. (2) I think it give you a real feeling of creativness and accomplishment, as does your photography. And,(3) I think it is a really good sign that you are feeling better and getting back the full use of your hand.

And, speaking of your photography, the picture above that you describe your awesome scissors is a really awesome picture! The clarity of the scissors is so good that you feel you can reach into the photo, pick up the scissors and start cutting!

pludra1945@msn.com said...

Amy, I have a friend that just had a baby boy.....do you have anything cute I could order for her? Let me know...I can order something and maybe you could mail it to her...if you can I will get the address. You can bill me or I can send you a check for the cost...however you do that.

Aunt Linda

Brenda Ledbetter said...

The sewing technique and cutting with the sissors is awesome. YOU are certainly creative and talented. I wish I was a kid again so I could wear those adorable things. Talent must have skipped a generation when it got to me. I am so glad you have it though. I love that you are back in business again with the Josie-Bea business it is an awesome business and name sake too.
love you all,Aunt Brenda

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Well I take that talent thing back, I remember mama, mema thought I could put zippers in a garment very well. That was my talent back when I would sew, it would take me days to get something sewed together into a finished item, but the zipper part was a breeze for some unknown reason, guess that was called my talent. I am not complaining though, I love to look at what others can do with their talents, that is for sure.
Love you all!!!

paige said...

how sweet!!!
i always wished i knew how to sew. my mother in law tried to help me but it just never caught on.
the little bunny applique is precious!

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

Aunt Linda, I can definitley do a gift for you. I could do a blanket with his name embroidered on it or a onesie with an applique like the one shown here. You just let me know what you would like and I will get it done for you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...