Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What's Cooking Wednesday!

One of the first memories I have of baking was when I was perhaps three and my Mema made an Apple Cake from Granny Taylor's recipe.
Who knows if it was an actual recipe or just a little of this and a little of that. But what I remember was the actual process of mixing up all of the ingredients, licking the bowl after the cake pan was filled and knowing that it was oh so good. It had to be if I still remember it this many years later, right?
So I have been on the perpetual search for an Apple Cake recipe that would mimic the one my Mema and I made that day with me propped on the kitchen counter. Supposedly there is a great one out there by Martha Stewart, and I will give that one a try next.
 But for today, I am going to share a recipe from the Knoxville Junior League Cookbook entitled "Sis' Applesauce Cake" This cake turned out to be more like a coffee cake than a regular cake and is still very good, but just not the same as the one I am looking for.
 And, since somehow I have misplaced my Junior League Cookbook, well, you are just going to see the process of the making of the cake instead of getting the actual recipe.
 Sorry about that, but you know I have already gone through and edited my photos for this post, and so that's what I am going to do, post the photos.

 One day, when I do find my cookbook somewehere in the girls toy box, I will post the actual recipe.
 Thank you for your patience with me on that! I hope for today though you have at least enjoyed seeing Emma-Caroline and Sophie loving being little bakers. Don't you just love Emma-Caroline's indoor snow cap? She insists on wearing it since we keep the house cold enough to hang meat in. If y'all have any good actual Apple Cake recipes, please let me know. I really do need one!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Those pictures make me so hungry, especially since I haven't eaten anything yet! That cake looks scrumptious, and I love the pictures of the girls. Sophie looks like she's thinking, "Ummmmm, that looks good, Mommy." And, Emma-Caroline is thinking, "Whaaaat is that????" What expression they both have, and what great pictures! Now, I've got to go get something to eat. You've made me really hungry. Oh, and yes, that was the best cake that Mema used to make. I will dig around and see if I can find that recipe for you.

Sarah said...

I'll email you an apple cake recipe....if I can find it. Yes, lovin' the stylish cap.

Pam said...

That looks yummy and all we would need is a good cup of coffee to go with it!

I found a recipe in Coastal Living for a spiced Rum Cake that you have inspired me to try!

Teresa said...

Oooh, that looks good!
My favorite is Paula Deen's Grandgirl's Fresh Apple Cake. It's really moist and dense and gets better and better the longer it sits in the fridge. Email me if you decide to make it....I have a tip to share.

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

Sarah and Teresa, I want both Apple Cake recipes! Teresa, I will e-mail you. And Pam, I need that rum cake recipe, Yummy! Mom, if you find Mema's recipe, that would be awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...