Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What's Cooking Wednesday!

I am trying to be more diligent about cooking healthy meals for my family this year. So in an effort to "beef up" (no pun intended) my healthy recipe file, I have decided to try and post one new recipe a week here on The Avery House blog that I have made and that my family has actually enjoyed. Today's recipe comes from the Weight Watcher's cookbook.

I substituted chicken breast instead of thighs. I am not a fan of dark meat, but that's not to say it wouldn't be very tasty.
So, in case you can not see that teeny tiny print in the picture from the actual cookbook. You will need: 4 chicken breast halves.
2 TBS orange juice, 2TBS Dijon mustard, 1/4 tsp salt. Mix above ingredients in a large bowl.
3/4 cup whole wheat cracker crumbs. I pulsed these in the food processor and added the 1 TBS orange zest, 1 finely chopped shallot, and 1/4 tsp ground pepper to the pulse.
Dip chicken breasts in orange/Dijon mixture, roll in cracker mix and place on a greased cookie sheet.
Bake in oven at 350 degrees for fifteen minutes per side or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.
Add some steamed green beans and you have a very healthy dinner!
Total Weight Watchers points for chicken breast 5. If I had thought of it, I would have added some orange peel to the green beans for a pop of color for this photo. But since I had two little hungry princesses and one hungry King waiting, I snapped this photo rather quickly before whisking the plate off to the dining room table. All of the royal court approved of this very tasty, and healthy meal. The Queen will definitely be making it again.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

That looks so yummy, good!!! I know you all enjoyed it. Are those fresh green beans? I remember when you wouldn't eat them. You would only eat them out of a can. Funny how children can be so particular. Well, I guess we adults can be too!

Val said...

Looks great! I'm trying so hard to eat as many greens as I can consume and of course having a bite or 2 of dessert! Happy Wednesday!

Amanda said...

That looks yummy. I'm doing weight watchers right now, so I definitely might try it. Did you know they've changed all the points values? Now they are called points plus. Most are higher, but you get more points. Anyway, just thought I'd fill you in, ha!

Pam said...

That looks great and we will definitely have to try it! I was all concerned about learning the new Weight Watchers PointsPlus system until Kelly said, "Mom, if the other system works and you know what to do, why do you need to switch"? Sometimes you just need a voice of reason!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...