Thursday, June 2, 2011

Palametto Sun

When I was a teenager and through my college years at the University of Tennessee, my dad and step-mom Pam lived in Charleston. Pam was originally stationed at the Naval Hospital in Charleston and stayed on even after the naval port was closed. We spent many a day on the Isle of Palms and in Downtown Charleston. I even worked in Downtown Charleston during some summers and grew to love it. How could you not?  Each time I come here, it feels like home. I love the familiarity of the beaches and Charleston itself. I could live here and be very happy. I have taken great opportunity to photograph this beautiful place and to practice some photography tricks, like capturing sunbursts.
I think being able to know how to use my camera and to take photos of Charleston has really been the highlight of my trip. Sounds silly, I'm sure, but really it is these photographs that I will look back on to recall our wonderful time here, so I am thrilled to be able to have them. I love these sunbursts that I captured on the beach and in Downtown Charleston. It's always wonderful walking under a Palmetto sun!

f/25, 1/250, ISO 200
Sharing with Patty for Photo a la {M}ode.

7 comments:

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Very nice. Awesome shots. Thanks for sharing them with us. I love the beach and went to that place many years ago with Robert when Al was just a month old. That was 50 years ago, wow..., I think it is the only real vacation Robert and I ever took together, brings back some awesome memories. Of course there was not much there back then but of course the aweome beach that we ran up and down for a few days. It brings back the youthful years to think of that place way back then.... Awesome!!!

Aunt Brenda - Memphis, TN

patty said...

I love the sunflares, too! nice job, amy. ron and i will be celebrating our 20th this july, and are trying to decide if we want to go to charleston b/c of our great memories, begining w our honeymoon, from there... or to go elsewhere. can't wait!
hope you had a fabulous trip!

Brenda Ledbetter said...

P. S. to my previous note.
I would love to visit Charleston again because of the rich history. We were not "History Buffs" way back then, just playful teens..., I only captured one playful picture of us on the beach, which is special of way back then... The historical parts of Charleston would be quite exciting to me now. I hope to go back sometime. Thanks for prompting my memories of the area, they are very special memories. Love, Aunt Brenda

Nancy said...

Beautiful photos, and, yes, photos are wonderful to have to spark your memories. As I grow older, I look at a photo and then try to fill in the gaps with my mental photos.

Amanda said...

We are heading to Isle of Palms next week. We go every year. We love it there! You did a great job with the photos. I feel like I never get good vacation photos because my family gets very impatient with me and my camera:)

Lana Kim White Austin said...

We lived in Charleston for a couple of years when we first got married and LOVED IT! We had our first daughter in the naval hospital there (I was barely 22!)! We were devastated when they shut the base down! My BIL just got married there 2 years ago and we all went and stayed on one of the islands in a big beach house.
Great pics!
Hugs,
Lana

Heidi said...

Beautiful pictures! SC is a gem!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...