Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Gift of Joy

Many moons ago (too many for me to want to share), I felt like God was calling me to be a teacher. "NO!" I replied firmly. Teaching is not for me. It doesn't pay enough and I want nothing to do with it. I knew secretly, though, that being a teacher is really what made me happy. I loved working with children and even as a little girl. I used to play teacher with all of my dolls and stuffed animals lined up on the front porch. OK, so y'all know the rest of the story, I gave in to my calling, I became an elementary school bilingual teacher, and I LOVED it!!! I remember in my third year of teaching, standing in my 1st grade classroom in Salem, Oregon at Highland Elementary School and feeling this overwhelming feeling of pure joy. It was at that moment that I got it. That total feeling of happiness is the gift God intended for me to receive through the profession of teaching. I haven't taught in the classroom in 4 years, but my love for children and watching them grow and change  hasn't left my heart. In the past 4 years I have taught Kindermusik, Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and most recently become the Associate Director of Children's Ministries at our church. The gift of Joy is ever present when I work with children and watch them learn. Teaching is a gift I will always be grateful for and that I will always be blessed by.
 These photos were snapped last week in Sunday School by my friend Vaiden. Love that she loves the camera as much as I do!
 We were looking at objects in nature and talking about their uniqueness and how God made them special.
We then talked about how each one of us in the classroom is special and how God made us all unique wit ha special purpose. It is a blessing to teach these wonderful 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade children!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Awesome! You are right where you should be. God is good.

Lana Kim White Austin said...

I think that teachers are one of the biggest blessings from God! I"m so glad you answered your calling! I have MANY amazing teachers in my family and I, too, enjoy teaching drama/creative writing--I love the kids soooo much!

Love/hugs/blessings,
Lana

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...