Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Sweetgrass Baskets

Now y'all didn't think I was done with Charleston did you? On the contrary, my thoughts travel back there frequently and it's been a month since we came home from that wonderful city! That's part of Charleston's charm, though. It keeps tugging at your heart strings until you come back for one more visit. Those of you who have visited Charleston and the shores of South Carolina know about the sweetgrass baskets that are made by the local "Gullah" descendants. If you are unaware of the history of these beautifully handcrafted baskets, please click here for a little lesson. You'll be fascinated! These little one-of-a-kind pieces of artwork are unique to this area and I just love them! They are quite pricey, however, and in my collection I have three that I have obtained in the 13 years Howie and I have been married. The first is a wee little basket that we got when we were first engaged. The second was a gift from Howie to me on my 30th birthday when he took me to Charleston as a surprise. And the last one, I purchased on our most recent trip. They all came from the same place on Broad Street, right in front of St. Michael's Church and from the same lady too! If you ever have the chance to visit Charleston, you should purchase one of these baskets, even the smallest one. You will not only have a very beautiful unique piece of art, but also will be supporting a local community in their livelihood.



2 comments:

Nancy said...

What a lovely lady and such beautiful baskets! Now we need to see the three in your collection. And, I WILL check out their history. I love stuff like this, and I know I would also love Charleston. I just need to go there sometime!

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Beautiful. I want to go back to Charleston some day. I will certainly want to get one of the beautiful baskets that special talented lady makes. Awesome and unique!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...