Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What's Cooking Wednesday

This past weekend, I opened the pantry door to grab a box of muffin mix only to find that the box I thought was a box of muffin mix was a pie crust mix. So, as to not want to disappoint my girls, I pulled out my Betty Crocker's Healthy New Choices cookbook and found a muffin recipe for which I had the core ingredients, just not the fringe ingredient, coconut. They took some time, but in the end these little "Morning Glory" muffins turned out to be quite tasty. They are more like a bran muffin and dense, not your typical sweet muffin, but my girls thought they were great. They are also very filling. Now I am glad that we were out of muffin mix and I look forward to making more homemade muffins of all varieties.
Here is the recipe for the Morning Glory Muffins:
1 Cup Fiber One Ceral (I substituted the above cereal because it is what we had)
2/3 cup skim milk
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 Cup chopped unpeeled apple
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup flaked coconut (only ingredient omitted)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 egg whites
1 Tbs vegetable oil
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
Heat Oven to 375 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 12 medium muffin cups. Crush cereal or pulse in food processor. Mix cereal in milk and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Divide evenly into muffin cups.
Bake 22-25 minutes, 18-20 for a convection oven.
Immediately remove from pan and place on cooling rack.
Enjoy!
***I am participating in Patty's Manual Mode Linky Party. The above photo was taken with the following stats:
1/125, f 6, ISO 1600. I am shooting with a Nikon D90 and a Tamron lens 18-270mm. The position of the zoom dictates my aperture, so I compensate indoors with my ISO. Still eyeing my prime lens which will give me clearer images.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Amy - those look so good! I want one NOW!!!! I've got my coffee here, and one of those (if I could get one) would MAKE MY DAY!!!!!! You always come up with some of the best looking and tasting food!

patty said...

they look delish! plus, i've always loved moring glory style cupcakes... :)
my favorite shots are the last two.... i guess i like the close-ups!
thanks for linking, amy!

MaryBeth said...

Those look great! My boys love muffins, so I'll have to try them out. I made the chicken dish you posted about a couple of weeks ago and it was really good too. I'm always looking for new recipes to cook :)

Lana Kim White Austin said...

You are just the sweetest thing ever! Thank you so much for your awesome words of encouragement and offer of friendship on my little blog post!
Every time I step by your blog (which I now follow--yay!) I read back more and more over older posts. And I start having this little conversations in my head with you of what I need to write to you because we have so much in common. I was so sorry to hear of your RA. That is definitely worth an email. I'm going to try to finish this email to you soon!
Until then, be blessed and know that you are admired and appreciated here in Huntsville~!
Hugs/blessings,
Lana

Kasey said...

Good close ups. I'll have to try that recipe soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...