Saturday, February 12, 2011

How Much is that Doggie in the Window?

I am a dog lover. I like cats, but in reality, I am all about dogs. My first dog that I remember having was a beautiful Irish Setter named Jenny. I was four years old and we lived in Livingston, TN in an old farm house. Jenny's head came up as high as mine, but we were great pals! I still remember how she used to get into the trash and throw it all around.
When I turned seven, I was surprised by a beautiful honey colored Cocker Spaniel puppy who I named Sunny. My mom always spelled his name Sonny, but he was Sunny to me because of his golden colored hair. Sunny died when I was in 4th grade and I was devastated. I longed to have another dog just like Sunny, and that day came when I found Lucy at the Adopt-A-Pet here in Knoxville.
Now, fast forward 15 years and we still have Lucy and have added two other dogs to our family, Ellie, a Brittany Spaniel we adopted who was the best dog and whom we lost to bone cancer, and Barkley, our Cocker Spaniel rescue dog from North Carolina.
 Lucy, Ellie and Barkley have all been rescue dogs and they have been such wonderful companions as well as family members. It seems they know they have been given a second chance for love and are completely loyal to us, their adopted families. When we do add a new pet to our family in the future, I will definitly look for a rescue dog. He or she will have to be a Spaniel because I am partial to the Spaniel. I am certain when that day comes, we will find another perfert friend just waiting to be loved.

3 comments:

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Very sweet expressions Amy, your pets have always been a special part of our family. I commend you highly for giving a special place to an animal friend in need of a loving home..you certainlyshowyour heart for this cause, that is so special. Thanks from me and all the animal lovers around the world.
Aunt Brenda - Memphis, TN

Nancy said...

I love your pictures of Barkley. He looks so cute snoozing in the sun. The one of him looking in the window reminds me of Sonny when he would get out of the backyard and run around to the front door and want in. Cocker Spaniels are so adorable, and like you, I also love spaniels. Ellie was such a beautiful Brittany Spaniel with the most endearing personality. She is our "angel dog" and will forever be in our hearts. And, of course, Lucy is a one of a kind spaniel! Dog of all dogs!!! I'm not sure what kind of spaniel she is but my guess is she's a Queen Spaniel. I'm sure there must be a breed like that. All of these dogs have been lucky to have you to love and care for them, and I'm sure if they could talk, they would say "Thank you, Moma".

patty said...

{i love rescues, too! they kind-of rescue us, don't they??}

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...