Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ruby Slippers

I was going through Emma-Caroline and Sophie's shoes last night and came across these little gems.
 My girls are so different in size that I haven't really been able to pass shoes on to Sophie from Emma-Caroline because they are usually too big for the season at hand, and then too small by the time that season rolls around the following year. These little ruby slippers, however, were worn by both Emma-Caroline and Sophie. I actually treasure these little shoes because both of their little feet were bedazzled by their ruby sparkles, and because both of my girls each loved them with a fierceness. There were times when neither of them would leave the house without having their ruby slippers on. And although we have bought other ruby slippers as feet have grown bigger, these shared first pair are the keepers.
Perhaps silly to keep a pair of worn ruby slippers for the sole purpose of nostalgia, but I love them. I am actually going to use them now for decoration in Sophie's room where the light hits them just right and showers a magical ruby glow onto the wall. They will always hold a place of honor in The Avery House as well as in my heart.


{Linking to Patty at Photo a la {M}ode over at Finding Serendipity.}
Photo Stats: Frame 1: 1/160, f 6, ISO 200
                    Frame 2: 1/80, f 6.3, ISO 200
I had my White Balance set to Cloudy because I was indoors with natural light. I modified the color to the blue side to get the true red of the slippers. I wasn't going for a boca effect, but got that because of how the sunlight was shining on the slippers.

4 comments:

Brenda Ledbetter said...

That is so sweet. I still have Al's and Bryce's pair of little baby showes. The first pair of hard top each wore as babies and one each of a special outfit they each wore. These things are so special to me. I know how you feel.
Those ruby slippers are so special, that is a great idea you have in the decor of Sophie's room.
Love you all,
Aunt Brenda - Memphis, TN

Lizzi said...

I love these! I think they'll make the perfect decorations for a little girl room.

Thauna said...

Love your photos! And I agree keep them, display them, treasure them! They are adorable and what a great memory.

patty said...

amy-these shots are beautiful, and my daughter had a pair exactly the same. they are now preserved in a shoe box w some other memorabilia... so no, not crazy to save! :)
thanks for linking up again! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...