Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Robin Feathering It's Nest

My favorite bird has always been the robin. It's beauty is classic with it's elegant chocolate brown coat and subtle red breast. It's song is pure, like sweet honey from the hive. And those eggs, those beautiful turquoise blue eggs, so small, so brilliant, so perfect. How could one not love the robin?
 But perhaps, the one thing that endears the robin to my heart the most is it's story. According to one legend, when Jesus was dying on the cross, the robin, then a simple brown, flew to his side and sang into his ear in order to comfort him in his sorrow. The robin then pulled a thorn from Jesus' crown to try and take away his pain.The blood from Jesus' wounds stained the robin's breast, and thereafter all robins were born with the mark of Christ's blood upon them.
 Of course legends are legends, but I would like to believe this one is true, just as I believe that the dogwood's flowers took the form of a cross with blood stained petals. I like to think too that those beautiful blue eggs that the robin lays are a symbol of God's promise of hope of everlasting life in Jesus' resurrection.
As Winter transforms into Spring this year, I will joyfully delight in the presence of my little feathered friends, the robin, in my garden, and I will remember God's everlasting love for me through Christ's death and resurrection.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Amy, those pictures are so beautiful and also what you wrote. I have always loved the way robins seem so tame, and you can almost walk up and touch them before they fly away.

My first thoughts when I saw this blog was the time we watched the robin trying to make her nest with the polyester scraps in Mema's backyard. The pieces of material kept falling, and she kept flying down again and again to retrieve them. She was so persistant. Do you remember that? We all just laughed and laughed. It was so entertaining.

I hope you are feeling better today, and thank you for this beautiful post today. It really brightened my day.

paige said...

what a beautiful legend. i'd love to believe that!!
how sweet

i took a sweet robin's image over one of our snow days that i need to post too

hope you're feeling better
xo

Brenda Ledbetter said...

The post is so beautiful, and Nancy's is too and so is Paige's.
I believe all that to be true..., awe,b
the beauty of nature and spring and our Heavenly Father..., awesome!!! And, how awesome that you put it in words and in pictures. Beautiful!!!

Brenda Ledbetter said...

The post is so beautiful, and Nancy's is too and so is Paige's.
I believe all that to be true..., awe,b
the beauty of nature and spring and our Heavenly Father..., awesome!!! And, how awesome that you put it in words and in pictures. Beautiful!!!

Sarah Harper said...

Love these pictures, Amy! Especially the last one. So beautiful!

patty said...

sweet images, amy... and i love that legend.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...