Sunday, November 25, 2012

Preparations of the Heart for Advent and Always

        This past weekend flew by at warp speed for me. It seems like only yesterday that it was Tuesday and I was waiting for my family form Virginia to arrive. Now it's Sunday evening, Thanksgiving is in the history books, I successfully threw my sister a gluten free bridal shower, and our house is all decked out for the Christmas holidays. It all went by in a blissful little blur. I certainly do not want the upcoming Christmas season to whirl on by in the same blink of an eye, so I have made some intentional plans to truly slow down and partake in the season of Advent, first, to prepare my heart for the true meaning of Christmas.
         One evening this past Thanksgiving weekend, I was sitting with Sophie on my bed after reading her a story about a puppy dog who thought he wasn't loved because he was always getting into trouble even though he really didn't mean to. I thought nothing of the plot of the story, but it struck a serious chord with my five year old. After saying our nightly prayers, I said to Sophie, "Do you know who loves you?" Quickly Sophie replied, "You do Mommy!" "Yes" I reassured her, "You're right! I love you very much, but you know who else loves you?" Without waiting for a reply I said, "God loves you!" Sophie looked at me and turned her eyes away, "God can't love me Mommy."
My heart sank, "Why do you say that, Sophie?" Slowly with tears in her eyes, Sophie responded, "Because I get in trouble all the time and I don't think God loves little girls who get in trouble." I pulled her close and told her that God most certainly did love her even if she did get into trouble. I thought at the same time of how she had spent time in her room many times this past weekend because of not listening, or because of arguing with her sister, or because she didn't pick up her toys, etc. It hit me hard that in the busyness of preparing for the Thanksgiving holiday, I had become impatient and unavailable for my own child's needs and had readily sent her to time out over spending time trying to find out what the real issue was that my little girl was dealing with. It happens. As parents we get busy with life and it's busyness. It doesn't make us bad parents to redirect a child who is acting out; however, it is easy to forget that a simple time out may communicate a different message to our children than we originally intended.
          As Advent approaches and I  prepare my heart for the birth of the Christ child, I intentionally want to take the time to watch and wait and listen to my own children as they also watch and wait for the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas. The truest gifts that I know I can give my children at any given moment are time, patience and active listening. As we watch and wait together during the wonderful season of Advent, my prayer for them and for myself is that we will know the deepest love of God that is made manifest in a babe born in a manger.

1 comment:

nancy said...

Oh, what a beautiful gift to give to your children! The gift of truly listening and understanding their needs is a beautiful and unselfish gift that every child longs for. Just as we bring our problems to Christ and find peace because we know that He cares and is listening, so do your children find that peace when you are listening to them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...