Monday, November 26, 2012

Laughter is the Best Medicine

This past July my dad underwent quadruple bypass surgery. My dad has always been (and still is) a very strong and healthy man not only physically but also mentally.
  I knew that my dad would go through this surgery with flying colors, but to say that I wasn't worried would be a lie. My tendency when I become worried about a situation that I can do nothing about is to pray, pray, pray as well as clean my house three hundred times in a day. On the day of my dad's surgery, I patiently waited for text messages and phone calls while mopping my floors every hour furiously scrubbing all of those stubborn spots. I finally received word that Dad had gone through the surgery well and that all had gone as expected. I exhaled for the first time a sigh of thankfulness. Now the hard part of recovery was to begin for my dad and his direct caregivers of my wonderful step-mom Pam and my sister Kelly. Howie, the girls and I traveled to see my dad 10 days after his surgery. I was amazed! When I say that my dad is my hero, I truly mean, he is my hero. 10 days post quadruple bypass surgery and my dad was up and walking each morning even in the rain! He always had an upbeat candor and never once complained of any pain. He repeatedly told the girls, Howie and I that we were the best medicine he could receive. Seeing the girls lifted his spirits even higher and helped him to push through what could have been a very difficult plateau in recovery. 
         As my Dad has continued to heal from his surgery, he has returned to his old G-Daddy self of being able to play and tickle the girls. During this past Thanksgiving holiday the girls enjoyed playing and laughing with their G-Daddy to the fullest capacity. It did not only his heart, but also my heart well to see them laughing and playing together. It is true as they say that "laughter is the best medicine."

1 comment:

Between You and Me said...

precious moments for your girls with your dad.
you'll cherish these pictures forever.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...