Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving Memory Making

As a little girl and a big girl too, one of my favorite things of all times to do on Thanksgiving Day is to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I still get just as giddy about the balloons and the floats and the performances on Herald Square in front of THE Macy's Department Store. Several years ago, we spent Thanksgiving in New York with Howie's family. Howie knew of my love of the parade so we made plans to not only go to see the parade but also to go and see the balloons blown up the night before. Emma-Caroline was three and a half and still remembers all of the fun festivities, but Sophie was only a year old and remembers nothing of that trip. One day, we will take them back to see the parade again, maybe next year. I absolutely LOVED everything about seeing the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade that year despite the cold weather. It was AMAZING and I am always thankful we were able to participate in such a wonderful tradition.
  Here in Tennessee, another one of my favorite things to do at Thanksgiving is to go to Uncle Harold and Aunt Carol's house in Cookeville for Thanksgiving dinner. We literally do go over a mountain and through the woods to get to Uncle Harold's house.

 When we arrive we see all of our family on my dad's side. It's a wonderful reunion and one that both of my girls have begun to appreciate as they are getting older. Emma-Caroline even said, "I can't wait to see all of my cousins and play in the barn and eat all of that yummy food!" I realized as she said that this year, that these gatherings have become her familiar and the beginning of her memories of Thanksgiving.





  I began a new tradition for our family this year at Thanksgiving, one of actually having a prepared meal at our own home to share after we got back from Cookeville.
 I pre-made all of the sides and desserts and only had to cook the the turkey when we arrived home. I think I over shot in the amount of food I prepared even with only having a turkey breast.
 But the girls were excited about helping me cook the meal and also in having a
Thanksgiving dinner at home.
 Whatever the traditions of Thanksgiving that are celebrated each year, the one constant is the togetherness that we share and the memories that are built through the fellowship in participating in the holiday of Thanksgiving.
 I love that we celebrate Thanksgiving for that reason and I look forward to the memory making each and every year.
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...