Saturday, August 27, 2011

A One Act Play

OK so last year when I purchased my Nikon D90 camera, one of the reasons I wanted it was to have the ability to take video with my digital SLR. Fast forward one year and I have not made even one video with the D90. Rewind one week prior to today, when my poor little Tamron lens got busted and we will be at the beginning of my thought processes. So there I was, with my lens all busted knowing I had to turn it in for a time to have it repaired and also knowing the limitations of my prime lens and thinking, "What am I gonna do!" (like this is a horrible dilemma or something). I do not own a kit lens, so the prime lens was it. Now I am not complaining about my prime lens. It is great and makes wonderful photos, but it definitely does have limitations (remember this for later). The Tamron gives me a full range of wide angle, macro, zoom etc. which is the reason it is my favorite lens. It's my take-everywhere lens and it is awesome, (have I mentioned how awesome my Tamron lens is?) Anyway, with just my prime, I have a more limited capacity, but that is OK. So I felt a little stuck on a fence contemplating the lack of close up shots from long distances that I would be able to achieve and all when the girls bounded down the stairs this morning wanting to present a play they had made up. As I happily agreed to be the audience for their play, it occurred to me, "I should video this! And I should use my D90!" So. I hastily switched to video mode and started to shoot my first D90 movie. I quickly remembered how limited my prime lens is as the girls were very out of focus in the background, but super clear when they got up close in the video. In essence you will see in live action just what a prime lens is great for. You get those crystal clear up close portrait images with the nice blurred effect of the background when you are taking still photographs with the prime lens. For the video mode, the prime is definitely not the way to go. But again, I am limited for a time. For today, I am glad to have discovered the video mode and look forward to shooting more home movies in the future when I have my Tamron back. So remember as you are watching the one act play below, it is blurred  in parts because I am using my prime lens. I still like it though and see it as the spark to a new learning adventure with my camera for my 365 project. Oh, and check out my favorite line from the play as quoted by Sophie, the Panda, "That drag'n was tryin' to chase ya!" How East TN is that!


1 comment:

nancy said...

That is so, so, so, sooooooo cute! Reminds me of Aunt Linda, Aunt Brenda and myself when we were little. I always got the minor roles!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...