Monday, October 25, 2010

Smoke House

OK, I am not the World's best fire builder, I'll admit it. But I thought, well, I could at least give it a try. Saturday morning was the day. I was going to get up, build a fire, and have breakfast and a cozy fire ready for Howie and the girls when they got up, at least that's how I envisioned it in my head. Instead of my beautiful Breckenridge cabin fire that I envisioned, it looked a little more like this.
Smoke engulfed the family room so fast that I was choking and coughing while my eyes burned in my haste to try and get the fire out.
I quickly opened the doors of the house thinking I could hide my botched try of making the perfect fire from Howie before he woke up, but the smoke just kept billowing out from the fire place.
Finally, Howie did come down only to see that the lever that I thought was the flue lever was actually not the proper lever and that the real flue lever was actually closed. Yes, I know, pretty dumb on my part.
Now The Avery House smells like a smoke house.
Bacon anyone?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh no! That can do alot of damage. Glad you got the smoke cleared out before that happened.

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Oh I am so sorry for that. That happened in my home in Woodstock, Ga. many years ago. Grandmaw and Grandpa Albea were visiting at the time and had lit a fire in our fireplace before I got up. When I entered our huge den area there was a cloud of smoke like fog over the area. I couldn't believe my eyes at first. Mama and Daddy were just sitting there, daddy smoking his pipe and mama sewing something in her lap as she rocked in the rocking chair. I alerted them that there was smoke in the room and there must be a fire somewhere.... Than we discovered the flu wasn't opened properly in the fireplace. Thats my story of a scare long ago. Glad you found it but so sorry your eyes were at the point of burning from the smoke.

The pictures you have posted are nice. I do hate your beautiful home was filled with smoke and hope it didn't do any dammage to anything. Sometimes smoke can smell good in a home to me, so hope it is just enough to make it more charming.
Take care,
We love you all very much,
Aunt Brenda - Memphis, TN

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...