Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Preparations with a Sudden Twist!

Well, I never dreamed in a million years that on Halloween Eve I would be recreating a ghastly, bloody site befitting of any Halloween horror movie. As we were happily carving our pumpkins last evening, the knife I was using suddenly slipped up slicing through the lower quadrant of my pinky finger as well as my ring finger. As I felt it, I knew it was bad. Hurling myself to the floor in case I passed out, I screamed, "Oh God, Oh God, Oh God . . ." as blood pulsed out of me enough to fill the kitchen floor. Yes, it was gorey, terrifying and totally not part of my Halloween plans. My mom and Aunt Brenda came to my rescue and applied pressure to the wound while Howie swiftly got towels to wrap my hand in and rushed me to the ER. The admitting nurse in triage told me when she looked at it, "Oh goodness, this is complicated. I can see your pulse!" I felt like I was in the Monty Python and the Holy Grail movie where the knight gets his arm cut off and blood is pulsing out of him, so I said to the nurse, "Just a mere flesh wound!" She didn't get it. Oh well, it made me feel better anyway. Long story short, I received 11 stitches in my pinky finger and 4 stitches in my ring finger and was instructed to call the orthopedic doctor on Monday because I would need surgery to repair the nerves and tendons I had severed. Before any of this had happened, we had a lovely day with my mom and Aunt Brenda. This morning Howie continued the carving of the pumpkins with a proper carving tool, thank goodness. Here are pics of the pleasant part of the last 24 hours.

Drawing our designs.

Emma-Caroline wanted hers to look just like "The Littlest Pumpkin".
This was drawn before the fiasco last night!
Halloween Day: continuing the carving with Daddy!
Finished Product!
Look at those seeds!
Special Effects: These all were taken by my mom because I can't take photos now, sniff!


Sweet little pumpkins!

2 comments:

pludra1945@msn.com said...

Hope your fingers and hand are going to be ok....it will probably take awhile to heal....that is really sad that had to happen to you when you were trying to make such a special memory of carving the pumpkins....

Anyway the rest of the story is very nice and the pictures were so enjoyable to look at....it puts me in the Haloween spirit to see them.


Love,

Aunt Linda and Uncle Rolf

Unknown said...

Amy I love the blog makeover with the bigger pictures. The blog posts will print so much better. By the way your pictures look great!. After i print Noah's 2nd year blog book i will have to do some blog makeover myself (need bigger pics!!) Anyways, I will send the new blanket to Sarah so you can monogram it for me :) Noah loves the blanket you did for him and he doesn't like to part ways with it for more than couple hours :) Thank you!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...