Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Small Town Livin'

At times when I am in the midst of Knoxville, I truly feel as if I am living the small town lifestyle. Knoxville is ofcourse not a huge city, but it is a metropolitan city and there are parts of it that I have never even seen. So it is definitely not a small little town. But since I was a senior in college at UT I have lived (with Lucy) in some neighborhood off of Northshore Drive in the Rocky Hill area when I have been living here in Knoxville. The Rocky Hill area of Knoxville has it's own local grocery store, Butler and Bailey, its own local dives like Roosters and Tom and Barry's, beauty shops, barber shops, hardware store, ballet studio, cleaners, doctors, dentists, ect.
It is essentially Main Street with a slight resemblance to the town of Maybury. I began my love affair with the Rocky Hill area when I lived in my first Northshore residence at Northshore Woods Apartments. I loved that there was a small local grocery store just a minute from my house. I also found that the local laundry mat was super convenient. When Howie and I were married, the Rocky Hill florist, Echelon did our wedding flowers. Everyone knew our name and it felt like home. When we moved back to Knoxville after living in Arizona, Oregon and Texas, it is no wonder we found a home in another part of the Rocky Hill area just off Northshore Drive in Dunbarton Oaks. We cherished living in Dunbarton Oaks and loved being able to run down to Butler and Bailey or Weigels to get a few quick things at the grocery store or a gallon of milk. When we looked for a new home outside of the Rocky Hill area, my heart felt a twinge of sadness for the little "small town" we would be leaving. But in the end, we are in yet another part of the Rocky Hill area in the neighborhood of Forest Brook. This part of Knoxville is our home. We love it here and we love the small town livin' it affords us while living in a bigger city.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...