Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Day of Firsts!

Well, it's here . . . the day that Emma-Caroline starts Kindergarten. Actually she already had her first day and I am now recounting it. I will say, it has definitely been an AWESOME day!!! It began at 5:00 this morning when Howie's alarm went off and I jumped out of bed not wanting to waste any precious prep time for Emma-Caroline's first day. At 6:30, Howie and I went into Sophie's room, which the girls are sharing for now, and woke the two sleeping beauties up for their first day of school and preschool. Yes, Sophie's first day was today too. (I will post about her day later). The girls got dressed as usual and sat down at the breakfast bar for the usual breakfast of waffles, yogurt, and milk. When I asked them if they were excited about school, I was met with this look.
After reminding them that they were going to be going to their first day of Kindergarten and preschool, I was met with a more appropriate look of excitement, which may have been a little coaxed by their dear old Dad!
At 7:00, we were set!
Backpacks on, check!
Photos taken, check!
And we were off!
We arrived at school and all piled out of the mini van, walked into the front doors of Bearden Elementary, headed down the hallway and down the stairs, walked past the cafeteria and finally we arrived to the entrance of Mrs. Hughes' kindergarten room.
After another reluctant photo session, Emma-Caroline entered the world of Kindergarten smiling from ear to ear. There were no tears on her part, just a willing eagerness to get started with all things school.
I, on the other hand, had to suck back the crocodile tears that kept trying to spill out of my eyes. It was awful. Here I am a former teacher, a kindergarten teacher at that, and I was losing it, just like all those parents I use to have to coax out of my classroom every year. Mrs. Noble gave me one of those looks I know I must have given each parent in my similar situation and handed me a bag. I knew exactly what it was because I had also handed these little bags out to the parents of the kindergartners I taught. Inside was this note.
And these. Of which I used the tissue immediately.
I was floored. I had no idea I would feel this way about Emma-Caroline going to kindergarten. I was sentimental, but also appreciative and touched at the same time. I am appreciative that Emma-Caroline has teachers that care about her and who are sensitive to her parents' needs to still cling to those last ounces of little kid that we want our girl to stay. But we know that she is growing up and this is all part of the growing up process.
I was proud of myself for not being the first parent in the pick-up line, just the second. I eagerly awaited Emma-Caroline to walk out of the doors with her new friends in Kindergarten. When she did, my heart leaped and I knew she had had a great day from the smile on her face. Mrs. Hughes opened the door to the car and Emma-Caroline jumped in. God blessed me with the best gift from her as she exclaimed, "Mommy, I LOVE my new school!" As tears again strolled down my face, I said, "I'm so glad sweetheart!" To end it all, Emma-Caroline handed me this
with this little poem attached.
She has a wonderful year ahead of her and some pretty amazing teachers at her new school! We are all so blessed!

4 comments:

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Awesome pictures and expressions. It is hard to let them go each stage of life. Time passes so fast, enjoy all the moments. I love all the pictures and things you have sharred on Emma-Caroline's first day of school. I love the puzzle she made and the fact of putting it together while she is telling you about her first day. Awesome!!!

I know how the tears can flow.., I have shed many at each stage of Al and Bryce's life. I remember flying to Atlanta with Al when he joined the Marines, I did okay, until I boarded the flight back home and at that time I couldn't control my tears and cryed all the way back to Memphis from Atlanta. I cryed when I left Bryce for the first time when he went off to college at Union University.... These are two instances I remember vividly, but there were many more times in my life as a mom..., our children always tug at our heart-strings and always will through out our lives, guess that means we love and cherrish them dearly.

Love always,
Aunt Brenda

Nancy said...

Dear Emma-Caroline,

I am so proud of you and know that there will be many more wonderful schooldays ahead of you to learn new things and to play with your new and old friends. Enjoy every minute! These will be some of the best years of your life. You and Sophie looked so cute. I wish I could have been there to see you.

And, Amy, I know exactly how you felt. Even though you know they are safe, you know that life is moving on to a new chapter. And, as always, when you start a new chapter, will it be as good as the last? And, yes, it will be. As you know, when you read a really good book, sometimes you laugh and sometimes you cry. And, you're reading (living) a really good book. I love you all.

Love ..... Nana (Mom)

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

Thanks to both of you for your sweet words! We are really blessed to have you in our lives!

Amanda said...

How sweet! Glad she had a great day! I would have really bawled if I'd gotten one of those goody bags... cotton to remind you of their soft face? Geez! LOL.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...