Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Tribute and A Reflection

I have made reference in past posts to two wonderful women that inspired me as a child and whose memory still inspire me in life every day. Those women were, of course my maternal grandmother Josie, and my paternal grandmother Bea. Those of you who know me know how important these two ladies were and are to me as well as how they inspired me when I opened my custom children's clothing shop Josie-Bea Originals named in their honor. I don't think however, I have ever expressed my gratitude to them for the greatest thing that each of them imparted upon me, that is, to love Jesus with my whole heart, to seek to use my talents to serve Him and help others, and equally important to love my family with my whole self putting them first in all things after God. My grandmothers each raised families in the South along the Mississippi River in basically the same vicinity of each other between Memphis and Mississippi. At the time that they were my age, buying clothing in the department store was not the norm, ladies wore dresses, gloves and hats when they went out in public, and fast food was determined by how long it took you to get it from the stove to the table. God and Family were of utmost importance. Times of course have changed. Clothing is no longer solely made by the mothers of America, most people roll out of bed, throw on a pair of gym shorts and head out the door to their daily routines if it doesn't involve a formal place of work, and fast food is served up in most households at least two or more times a week. In today's society, it is hard to put your family, much more God first with all the things that compete for our time and attention. It's hard, but it's important. And it is something I can say I strive to do every day. I'm not perfect, nor will I ever be. I am trying though, and for that, I know my grandmothers Josie and Bea would be proud. If I can impart upon my children the importance of putting God and family first, then I feel I have left a good mark on society. Thank you Mema and Granny Bea for giving me such a wonderful gift. I love and miss each of you!

My grandmother Josie and my grandfather Tommy
My grandmother Bea and my grandfather Harold

Howie and I on our 11th anniversary last year.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Dear Amy - That is such a sweet tribute to your grandmothers. Yes indeed, Mema and Granny Bea loved you very much and wanted only health, happiness,and a good sense of spirital well being for you. They were two humble ladies who shared their love and talents with their families. They were part of "the greatest generation"! They left this world for the better, and I am so proud that so much of them rubbed off on you. I love the black and white pictures of you all. Love ... Mom

Kelly said...

I wish I could have known Granny Bea and Grandpa Harold better. I think living away from them all of my life may have contributed to that but I also was so young. I remember bits and parts. Most of my memories are from Mississippi when we would go fishing. I will never forget Granny Bea's sweet sweet voice. She always sounded happy and had a sweet and soft touch. <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...