Thursday, September 30, 2010

Things that "BUG" You!

OK, this post is not for those who are faint of heart when it comes to bugs. You have been warned. I myself have never really been up on the creepy crawlies co-habitating with me. I understand that sometimes one or two pesky little critters may inadvertently enter my house when doors are open and they may fly or crawl in. I never "kill" bugs unless they are of the type that is a cockroach (most disgusting bug ever!) or some poisonous spider, or if they are a gazillion ants that have invaded my kitchen and need to be disposed of. A cockroach is the only type of bug that gives me the heebeejeebees (I know I didn't spell that right, but who really knows how to spell that word). All other bugs I can stand to the point of getting a wad of paper towels bigger than my head to be able to scoop them up and swiftly return them to their proper dwelling spots outside of my house.
I don't know if it is the cooler weather or the huge rain storm the occurred last night, but this morning we awoke to an uninvited guest in our house. As we were getting dressed and ready for school, I heard a blood curdling scream from the general direction of Sophie, only to find her up my leg with a white knuckle death grip on my skirt. Through the tears and screams I was able to get out of her "DARE'S A 'PIDER ON THE FLOOR ODER DARE!!!" A quick glance to the area she was referring to confirmed the culprit. (Warning Bug Picture Coming!)

There he was with all his creepiness, Mr. Grandaddy Long Legs! Now, I will agree with Sophie, the Grandaddy Long Legs is quite the spooky bug, although he is harmless to us humans so they say. But they are not the type of bug I like to pick up and throw out of my house. I also don't like to kill them, so we leave the removal of said bug to Howie. Mr. Legs scurried himself to some obscure hiding place before we were able to get Howie to our rescue. A second scare later, one quick grab of a leg, a toss out the door, and Mr. Grandaddy Long Legs was on his creepy way out of the Avery House. Wooo, that was close. Too close for Sophie.
So as Halloween approaches in the wonderful month of October, we will be content with our spider door decor. Perhaps that is why Mr. Grandaddy Long Legs thought he was welcome in the Avery House. Think again Mr. Spider! Think again!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Well Amy, you did warn me, but I had to keep looking .... and I was enjoying a piece of pizza at the time. But, oh well, the picture really wasn't that bad. I,too, am not afraid of Grandaddy Long Legs. Sometimes, I let them run around the house for a few days. They're kind of cute the way they run and hide. Even crickets, I won't kill. I try to toss them out if I can catch them, but sometimes I hear them singing to me for weeks from their hiding places. But, I have to admit that I feel rather guilty about something that happened the other day. I was so tired and dirty and needed to take a shower so I could go to bed, but when I whisked the shower curtain open, there was a Grandaddy Long Legs staring at me from the bottom of the tub. I quickly washed him down the drain, and I have felt guilty ever since. Maybe he crawled out on the banks of the Mississippi River and is playing happily in the tall grass. I hope so! I love your spider in the door. Happy Halloween to The Avery House .... Love Mom

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Cute messages from you and your Mom. I love the door decoration too. I love to decorate for the seasons..., I know the family enjoys that very much.

I just moved to my place to run from the creatures that were crawling into and invading my downstairs apartment in Cordova, it was a scarrie mess all the time with unsual creepy crawlers. It feels good to be creature free for now, hopefully forever since I am on the 3rd floor.

Amy, I remember when you were just a baby, perhaps a little more than a year, you were afraid of fallen hair as if it was a creepy crawler..., it is funny now but good that you can scoop them up and put them where they belong, the creepy crawlers that is.

Sophie is so cute, bet that was heartwrenching to see her so scared, but at least she was able to tell you. I am one who likes those kind of creepie crawlers too..., the daddy long legs..., but they do look scarrie at first glance.

Love you all,
Aunt Brenda

Pam said...

I'm with Sophie! I do not like Granddaddy long legs anywhere especially in the house. I say let them stay with Mr. and Mrs Mud Pit!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...