Wednesday, September 29, 2010

In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning . . .

My alarm clock goes off at 5:30 every morning to a jazzy little tune that some techie programmed into my cell phone. I get to it and hit snooze once, before slowly inching my sleepy self out of the bed. This should be old hat since I use to wake long before 5:30 when I still worked as a teacher. But it's not. I unfortunately now like to sleep a little longer than the old 5:ooam and begrudge my cell-phone's beckon of me to enter the world of the living every morning. Once up, however, I actually like the dark quiet that is my home during the wee small hours of the morning. Before "the others" wake, I try to squeeze in some "me" time while I prepare for the day. This past Sunday, my morning went a little something like this . . .

5:30: Jazzy alarm goes off. Ughhh. Yes, I do have to remove myself from bed because Sunday is a work day for me (I am now the Associate of Christian Ed at my church so I kind of need to be there).
5:35: Turn on computer. Check e-mail, blog, and Facebook. Surprise, no one else is on Facebook because they are all sleeping.





5:45: Shower and get dressed. Iron girls' clothes for church. Make coffee. Our Cuisinart and Rowenta Iron are my early morning friends. We go waaaaay back!

6:15: Decide I will make muffins for the girls and Howie while they get in a few more ZZZZZZs.
6:45: Wake girls and Howie with the enticing words of "I have muffins and coffee made!

7:00:Eat muffins and have a cup of my pep-in-my-step, coffee.

7:25: Get girls dressed, hair brushed, etc.

7:45: Pile into minivan and head out the door.
From 5:30 until almost 7:00, I get to just be by myself with the exception of the dogs of course. But it's nice to have a moment to think and be before the day all begins. It's a glorious time!

6 comments:

Sarah Harper said...

Oh wow! I shouldn't have read this. I feel shame now ... lots of shame ;) You are amazing, Amy!

Elizabeth Ann said...

While exhausting im sure, this sounds really nice. I hope to be like u someday in that way. I wake up at 6am which i think is a bit early but then again ive been waking up 6-630 am for my entire life so far (except when i worked for DR where i had to get up at 5am and leave the house at 5:30am). But then i have the few ppl in my life that get up at 4-5 am and i realize i might b lucky to get up at 6am. My body has sadly gotten used to this and there is in no way me sleeping passed 8am on any given day not matter what time i fall asleep.

Nancy said...

Amy - you really do have Mema in you. She used to say the same thing about getting up in "the wee hours of the morning" so she could have some time to herself before we all got up. There's something about that time before the sun comes up, and it's all quiet and peaceful, that gives you that extra lift you need to start your day .... even though you have to share it with Miss Rowenta. I loved your pictures of everyone sleeping, especially Barkley who must have been thinking, "Oh please, not this early - get back in the bed."

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Yes..., I was just thinking of how Mama use to get up so early to do the laundry and put on the meal of the day, she loved doing all this before or by the time the sun was peeping through the clouds while we were all peacefully sleeping.

I am not that type of early-bird, although I have had to make myself at times be..., I always liked flying in the wee hours of the morning when the sun was just appearing. Morning is so refreshing but it has always been hard for me to get up..., but the rewards are great when I do.

I commend you for making this your lifestyle as our mom did.., "your Mema".

The pictures you posted are awesome and the story you wrote is sweet too.

Love always,
Aunt Brenda

pludra1945@msn.com said...

Amy, I think this blog is so cute...that was put together really good...as is all your blogs, but this one was especially entertaining.

Love,

Aunt Linda

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

Thanks everyone for the special comments and references to me being like Mema. What a wonderful compliment indeed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...