Friday, January 6, 2012

Out with the Old . . .Project 52/1

The phrase, "Out with the old, in with the new," never has really settled well with me. Sure, I know what it essentially means, rid yourself of past habits, things, etc. in order to have a fresh start, new perspective, and the ability to move ahead into a better state of affairs. My problem with the phrase is, how can you move forward into the new if you don't remember and have respect for the old? And if you completely throw out the old, how will you ever know where you have come from? As I tap away at the keys on the computer, I really don't want an answer to any of the above posed questions. I simply got to thinking about the phrase "Out with the old . . ." when I was outside recently admiring the sunlight glimmering on the spent hydrangea flowers in my garden. There in front of me was that phrase in a magnificent display in nature.
 Out with the old . . .
 In with the new.
  In looking at these images, you may understand my problem with the phrase. The old in it's own right is worth taking notice of. The old may have lived it's life whether it be an idea, habit, thing . . . but it is still valuable.
 The old, reminds us of who we were, the old pushes us forward to who we will become. Without the old, there could be no new.
 A better statement to me would be, "Remember the old, while you step into the new." The old will always be a part of the new no matter how much we want to be "out with the old and in with the new." The old is the catalyst of the new. Just as these hydrangea coexist with it's "old" spent flowers and "new" buds awaiting spring, so too do our old habits, ideas, etc. coexist and push forward our new selves awaiting to bud with new opportunities.
In 2011, I learned much about photography and my camera through my 365 Project. Admittedly, it was a project that was HUGE and a lot to keep up with. But I found it extremely valuable for many, many reasons. In the new year, what I have learned from 365 will carry on as I explore new things in photography. The old 365 Project will dawn into a new project. I respect the process I went through in the 365 Project and the lesson it taught me in patience in learning a new skill. As I continue to explore and improve my photography skills in 2012, I hope to complete a Project 52 just choosing and posting one photo per week of the 52 weeks of the year. I may keep up with it every week, or I may not. The important thing is to keep learning and to remember the old as I step into the new.

2 comments:

nancy said...

So beautifully stated and so beautifully portrayed!

Elizabeth Ann said...

Lovely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...