Monday, December 10, 2012

The Peace that Comes


 It is the 2nd week of Advent. I'd like to say that my life has become filled with long hours of thoughtful contemplation of the wondrous gift of the Christ child that was given to us on that Holy Night so many years ago by a Father whose love for us surpasses any human understanding.
 But as you know, the speedometer of life accelerates faster and faster as the actual day of Christmas draws nearer and nearer. For me, Sunday is the busiest day of the week especially at this time of year. Yesterday was no exception, and as I wrote last week, it is the day when I need to intentionally see God in everyone and everything that is around me. Isn't it ironic that on the Sabbath Day of the week, I have to intentionally look for God amidst the distractions and business around me? It is with great humbleness that I confess that I say prayers with almost every breath as I go throughout my day on Sunday mornings into the early afternoon.
 It is as if I am on a tight rope. It is not that I fear falling, but if I don't keep my eyes on God's will for me, I am susceptible to allowing fear and anxiety to creep in which will in turn not allow God's light to fully shine through the work he has called me to do.
  I am always amazed at the peace that comes when I do intentionally look for God in everything and everyone that comes along in my day. The thing that is truly amazing is that this gift of peace is available to each of us each and every second of the day all the days of our lives. All we have to do is to stop, look and listen and we will receive that peace that God gives us so freely. This is not easy to do, and that is what is so interesting. We all crave peace in our lives, all of us do. It is there for us to receive, but we have to first stop being distracted by the busyness, we have to look for God in the world he has created for us, and we have to listen to God's voice in our hearts in order to receive the peace he wants to give us.
 What I have come to understand in the season of Advent, even if it is only a limited understanding, is that my life can be filled with peace all of the time if I accept the gift of peace that God freely gives to me. The circumstances of my life may change from moment to moment.
  Life may throw any number of distractions my way which could easily avert my attention from looking for God.  But the gift of peace is always there in EVERYTHING if I intentionally accept it. We all have that gift available to us. 
 My hope for myself is that my practice of intentionally looking for God and receiving his peace on Sundays will extend into an everyday practice each day of the year. With God's help, this hope can be realized.
Peace is the gift that was given through the birth of Christ Jesus that comes for all of us each and every day of our lives. "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by
the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."  Romans 15:13
Linking  on 12/14/12 to Patty at Finding Serendipity
 

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...