Monday, December 6, 2010

The Nutcracker

During the Christmas season, one of my most favorite holiday traditions is going to see the Nutcracker Ballet. As a teacher, I always enjoyed taking my students to see the Nutcracker and the magical world of Clara and the Sugar Plum Fairy. Along with the tradition of going to see the actual Nutcracker Ballet, I have also begun a collection of real nutcrackers from Germany for each of my girls.
I received my first German Nutcracker when I was a girl when my Dad and step-mom Pam lived in Spain. We traveled one summer to Germany and I picked out a Nutcracker to call my own. I think they are beautiful and so well made. I will admit, I am a Nutcracker snob and will not buy other imitation nutcrackers made in China. They must be the REAL German made nutcracker.
This year at the ballet studio where Emma-Caroline and Sophie are ballerinas, they had a special breakfast with Clara and the other characters from the Nutcracker Ballet. Emma-Caroline was old enough to attend this year and had a delightful time.
I did not get to attend with her as it was for ballerinas only, but I eagerly awaited her return so that I could hear about the magical morning she had spent with Clara, the Sugar Plum fairy, the Nutcracker and all the other friends from this wonderful ballet. She beamed when she came through the door of our home after her morning with the Nutcracker friends telling me all about it. It was the greatest present she could have given me!

2 comments:

Brenda Ledbetter said...

That is so special!!! Through the eyes of a child, how magical and what a gift for you to see her so happy. God Bless You All,

Aunt Brenda - Memphis, TN

P. S. I love the Nutcrackers and am so glad you are collecting the real ones for you and your girls. What a nice thing to have from the childhood days.

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness, Amy. Emma-Caroline must have been ecstatic! I think you should have been able to attend, though, since you are a former ballarina.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...