Thursday, March 18, 2010

Potty Training Blues


First I will begin by saying that anyone who can potty train a child in one day is like super human or something and all I have to say, a la Flo on "Mel's Diner" is "Kiss my grits!"

Second, whoever invented Pull Ups is probably laughing themselves all the way to the bank at how many parents unknowingly have bought these things thinking it an easy transition from diaper to big kid underwear only later to discover that your kid (being smarter than you) realizes they are still wearing a diaper and chooses the Pull Up over the potty 95.9% of the time.

With all that being said, I vowed, after the horrible go of potty training EC before age 2, that I would wait until I felt Sophie was "ready" to be potty trained, which happened to be 2 and a half. She did great, until she realized my second point stated above and then we were back to square one. So I ditched the infamous Pull Ups for thick cotton panties. She's been doing remarkably better except for going number 2 in the potty. We have had accidents and conversations about how when you feel your tummy hurting you can go to the potty.

Lately, though, Sophie has been hiding her poop in places all over the house. Yes, I said hiding. She has put it in the linen closet, her diaper cabinet, and sometimes the trash can. Now, mind you, she always changes her panties and cleans herself up, but it's the hiding part that catches me, or my nose off guard.

This morning, as I went to grab my brush out of my vanity, I found a little present. There in my drawer pasted to my bottle of hairspray was a rather large piece of poop! UGHHH! After promptly removing the poop and sanitizing my entire drawer, I asked Sophie, "Did you put poop in Mommy's drawer?" to which she replied in the most sweet innocent and Southern voice, "Yayesss!" I couldn't help but laugh on the inside as I calmly told her, "Well sweetie, poop has to go in the potty, OK?" "O-tay Mommy, I put my poop in the potty next time!" And she did, the big girl way!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh no! That will definitely be a story to embarrass her with later! I hope she continues to put the poop in the potty the big girl way! Evan potty trained super easily and I think it was mostly due to a. waiting until he was ready and b. no pullups. I'm going with the same method for Chloe, but I know I'm probably in for it anyway. She is so stubborn!

Sarah Harper said...

HAHAHAHA!! That's hilarious! I mean, it's gross. But it's hilarious! Extra hilarious because your house is so insanely perfect all the time ... except for the poop hidden away here and there :)

Well just hang in there! I hope she'll catch on to the whole potty thing very soon!

Elizabeth Ann said...

It sounds annoying but o so cute in a way. It will all turn out well. I have actually never heard Sophie speak.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...