Friday, October 9, 2009

Perspective Received

One of my friends from my teaching days recently posted an entry on her blog about Perspective. I read through her post about a fellow blogger whom neither she nor I know personally but who suffered a terrible plane accident and was burned on 80% of her body. My friend posted a link to her story that was aired on Oprah which I will do also here: http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20090924-tows-stephanie-plane-crash.
After reading about this amazing mother of 4's struggle and courageousness, it really did give me perspective too. I recently have been suffering through some very difficult joint pain which I thought may be attributed to my fibromyalgia condition, but which now is thought to be something entirely different by my doctors. The pain has rendered me to tears at some times and at other times extreme frustration. At times I can't use my hands to do normal tasks like comb the girls' hair, open a door, type on the computer, drive the car without feeling sharp pain and swelling in all of my joints, and to sew has become almost nonexistent. I'm not writing about these things to complain. This will all be figured out and I will go on as normal in spite of the pain. The thing I gained perspective on in hearing of this other mother's struggle is not in that she truly suffers more pain than I do (I believe pain is relative to each individual person and their particular situation). My perspective was gained in how she is dealing with the situation she has been dealt in life. I have become angry about the pain I am suffering because it has all but stopped me from doing my embroidery business, Josie-Bea Originals. This other mother struggles too with where her life is going with her injuries and burdens from the trauma she suffered. The perspective I regained from her is that no matter how hard our struggles may be, it is about our attitude towards that struggle that matters most and our dependency upon a Higher Power which brings us through the difficult times and makes us take stock of what is really important in life. Josie-Bea Originals has been a wonderful blessing, but it also has consumed my every waking moment leaving my children, friends, husband, family, house hold, etc. to suffer some form of neglect from me not being able to be more attentive. I believe God has specials ways of making us slow down and take a closer look at what really does matter. Through this sudden onset of extreme joint pain, I think God is asking me to slow down, come nearer again to Him and be not dependent on my own desires of success for myself, but on His desires of success for me. I take on this pain with new found dependence on my Heavenly Father as well as regained perspective on what is really important in life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nicely put into words Amy :) I too believe that God has some unique ways of slowing us down in order to open our eyes to things that really matter in life: such as our family, friends and our faith. So often, we loose ourselves in our busy lives and we easily forget about what is the real purpose for our life, that we are here on Earth for Him, not for ourselves. However, in the of craziness of our world, it is really hard to remember that we are here on earth only briefly and that the things we are now stressing about will not matter one bit. The only thing that will matter will be our family, friends and our Lord. Your post reminded me what is really important in life :) Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...