Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Rainbow Connection

Close your eyes and picture him, Kermit the Frog singing in his his little frog voice, "Why are there so many, songs about rainbows, and what's on the other side?" If you are my age, you may remember that verse from the first Muppets movie ever made. It was reprised in the most recent Muppets movie made by Disney which I think was knock-it-out-of-the-park fantastic. It bothered me somewhat when Disney bought the rights to The Muppets. After all, Miss Piggy has never been about sharing the spot light, especially with a Mouse named Minnie. It still is weird to see The Muppets in the Disney Hollywood Studios, but I make my peace about it in knowing that they are well cared for by Disney and that Jim Henson's masterful creations will be preserved for posterity. Yesterday, we ventured over to Epcot for the day while on our trip here at Disney World. Epcot is one of my favorite parks here with the World Showcase and beautiful gardens and exhibits about the Land and Earth and Conservation. It also has some pretty neat rides that the girls love like Soarin' and Test Track. I will go on Soarin' but I like to wait it out on Test Track, which brings me to the title of my post, "The Rainbow Connection." No I didn't get serenaded by Kermit while I waited for my family to get off Test Track. In fact, Kermie and Miss Piggy and all the Muppet friends are housed only at the Disney Hollywood Studios. As I waited, however, I began to do the usual pass-the-time thing of people watching. At first I noticed unusual clothing, hairstyles, movements, etc. Then I started noticing languages and differences and similarities amongst the groups of families and their children. At first I commented in my head about how strange some of these people seemed to me. I almost always dismiss ideas of thinking others as "strange" as being a negative thought, but this time I decided to turn the word "strange" into the word "unique." At that point my people watching pass-time became an act of beauty watching. It dawned on me how amazing it was that God created all of these beautiful people to be so unique and wonderful in His image. As I continued to appreciate the uniqueness of each person I saw, I also imagined them as being like the colors of the rainbow. A rainbow is white light that has been split into many beautiful colors by a prism. No one color is more beautiful or more important than another. They are all equal yet unique to make up the one whole. I imagined God as the white light and we as all the different colors of the rainbow. Each of us is unique and beautiful but part of the same light that created us. As I pondered that idea, I felt blessed that God had given me that image and realization.
Maybe that is why there are so many songs about rainbows. Maybe we all do feel the Rainbow Connection in our hearts and find God in recognizing the beauty and uniqueness in everyone.

A side note, we are still here in Disney World and I am still posting from my iPhone. I will post more about our trip soon!









1 comment:

nancy said...

Amy, that is such a beautiful post and such a "unique" way to view people. So many people don't take the time to look at people through the eyes of God as you were doing "while passing the time". Maybe more people in the world should try this, and, perhaps, it would be easier for us all to get along. Glad y'all are having a wonderful time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...