Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas Break Begins!

        Yesterday as it was pouring down rain with the wind blowing 1000 miles a minute, I had the strong feeling that I was about to enter the world of Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz. I did not want to be anywhere but in my warm house by a nice roaring fire. At 2:15 I braved the elements in order to be at the girls school for 2:45 dismissal. Popping my black monogrammed umbrella up, I puddle jumped across the gravel parking lot before finally landing in one large pond of a puddle that successfully soaked my shoes and pants legs. I ran up the hill to the school, found both of my girls and quickly handed them umbrellas. We all scurried back down the hill (avoiding the pond this time) and then I shoved the girls into the car while folding down their umbrellas and trying not to be nasty in the nastier weather . In the act of swiftly getting the girls settled and in closing my own umbrella up in the car door through the pouring rain,  I asked the girls if they wanted to sleep in Friday and not go to their last half day of school before Christmas break. "Whaaaaaaaat!" shouted Emma-Caroline, "Not got to school? It's supposed to be the most funest day of school this YEAR!" "And we get to wear our head ornaments too!" piped in my little fashionista Sophie. "What are head ornaments?" I wondered aloud. "Oh, just reindeer antlers or a Santa Hat or something like that," Emma-Caroline said nonchalantly, "And we need to get new antlers because Sophie broke hers and we can't find the other set." So in less than five minutes my plan of sleeping in on Friday, skipping school and having a fun Christmasy morning flew out with the 1000 mile a minute wind and we were off to Walgreen's to find new "head ornaments" to wear to school on the last day.
 This morning I over slept. For a moment I thought, "Maybe I will just let the girls sleep in and not take them to school." My better judgement overcame my initial thought and I hurriedly got the girls up, dressed and fed and head ornaments in the proper place before ushering them out the front door and into the car. The dark cloudy and dreary morning turned into a beautiful sun filled day with very cold Christmas like temperatures.  
 At 11:15 my mom and I picked the girls up from school all smiley and giggly from the excitement of the last day of school. We headed over to the Gallery Tea Room for our yearly last-day-of-school-before-Christmas tea and had a lovely lunch.
 It was a wonderful start to our Christmas Break. As I write this, I am certainly glad I didn't sleep in this morning and that my girls had a wonderful last day of school before Christmas Break.
 We wish everyone a very blessed Christmas filled with much needed rest, lots of time with family and friends and much much  joy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...