Friday, January 31, 2014

Winter Wonderland Bliss

On Tuesday, I heard murmurings in the hall at work that schools were closing at 11:00am in response to the winter vortex that was approaching Knoxville faster than first predicted by local meteorologists. Leaving the church I made my way over Agnes Hill, across the railroad tracks and through the stoplight to my familiar parking spot in front of the girls' elementary school. I decided to go ahead and get the girls before the 11:00am dismissal hour and made my way into the school. After scurrying down to the car and getting buckled into our seats, Emma-Caroline, Sophie and I were off to make a couple of stops to local mercantile shops and Chick-Fil-A before heading home. I was surprised that in less than an hour of getting the girls, some of the roads were already starting to become icy and impassible.
Photo: Forest Brook Winter Wonderland
We made it home and I parked the car on the curb in front of our house as my non four wheel drive vehicle was unable to ascend our snow covered hilly driveway. In checking Facebook, there was a firestorm of words between friends about the call for early dismissal of schools. As the snow continued to come down in sheets and temperatures rapidly fell, I was thankful to be snug in our toasty home, safe and sound. Howie arrived home around 4:30pm and also parked his car on the curb. The girls were itching to get outside and play, so Howie bundled himself up as best he could and took the girls to the neighborhood mega hill to enjoy some super sledding fun. I stayed behind due to a back problem that I am still recovering from. After a couple of hours of sledding and enjoying the snow, Howie and the girls returned home, pink faced, exhausted and ready for some hot cocoa.
 The next morning, Sophie awoke before the sun had risen fully in the sky, donned her purple and pink snow gear and requested an early morning tromp in the snow.
 Emma-Caroline and Howie followed soon after and I was able to venture out for a few snapshots of our winter wonderland fun in the snow.
 Our 18 year old dog Lucy was not very pleased to be out in this wintry white stuff.
  Even though she's seen it time and time before, this old gal had had enough and was looking to get indoors.
 The girls formed their own bobsled team and made efforts to perfect their sledding journey down our driveway into the neighbor's yard.
 At 4 degrees, it was quite chilly out there and I was wishing I had some snow gear like that of Emma-Caroline's and Sophie's which was purchased last year on super clearance at Target.
 Emma-Caroline gave Sophie instructions on how to improve their attempts at sliding down the hill faster and farther. Sophie listened with great intent.



After another couple of hours of snow fun, Howie and the girls returned inside to spend most of the rest of the day enjoying the warmth of the indoors. It's always fun to have a little winter wonderland fun. The girls have had three snow days due to this weather, so we are hoping now for more warm temperatures so that we may return to our previously scheduled programs. I hope you all have enjoyed some fun times of your own in this winter vortex we've experienced.
 


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...