Friday, February 14, 2014

Lucy+Love=18!

Eighteen years ago on this very day a puppy began her life in East Tennessee. I am sure she loved her mother and brothers and sisters as most puppies do, playing and enjoying long naps huddled together near their mother.
 Six weeks later, that same happy puppy would find herself alone in a kennel at the Adopt-a-Pet on Kingston Pike in Knoxville. All of her brothers and sisters had been adopted and she was the very last one needing a home. This is where that puppy and our lives would converge. It was a warm spring-like day and I entered the Adopt-A-Pet in search of the perfect dog that would become my birthday present. When I saw that sweet little puppy in the kennel all by herself crying for attention, I knew she had to be mine. They brought "Laura" as they had named her out and it was love at first sight.
 Soon thereafter, "Laura" and I were on our way to my dorm room at the University of Tennessee. I renamed her Lucy and she has been by my side ever since, going to classes with me at UT inside my backpack, moving with me into my first real apartment, running away and being chased down by Howie the day of my college graduation, moving with Howie and me across the country to Phoenix, Arizona, Salem, Oregon, Austin, Texas and finally back to the city of her birth here in Knoxville. Lucy is a wonderful dog with lots of spirit and spunk. She has been a big sister to three canine, three bird, and two human siblings.
We are constantly amazed at her get-up-and-go spirit and her insatiable appetite even at this old age. We love our Lucy and we are so happy to have had her with us to enjoy our life together. Happy 18th birthday Lucy Avery! We wish you may more days and birthdays with us here.

1 comment:

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Your note brought me to tears about Lucy as you penned a picture of the life you have had with Lucy...., she certainly has had a long exciting life with you and then Howie as you met and married and traveled far and wide and then starting a family..., and having two wonderful little girls and other pets to enjoy..., what more could a sweet little dog want in life. How special can that get for sure!!!! I love your Lucy too. Take care and Happy Birthday Lucy and many more to come. Love always, Aunt Brenda Memphis, TN

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...