Thursday, February 16, 2012

Intentionality

The Avery House blog has been a place I have avoided like the plague in recent days. I am not actually sure what it is that has left me less than feeling like writing or for that matter posting photos. Perhaps it is the very fact that I needed to take a short break from both the blog and photography worlds. I have not touched my camera in weeks opting instead to use my new iPhone camera. My love for photography has not waned, but my desire to photograph every little thing around me has diminished, at least for the present time. I recently entered a photography contest along with my very dear friend Vaiden. Both of our entered photographs received an Honorable Mention.


 In my opinion, I feel that Vaiden's photograph above should have won a first, second or third place prize. You can view the prize winners on the contest web site here. The photography contest was the first ever for the East Tennessee Episcopal Diocese. The theme was "To seek and serve Christ in others." The photographs that were entered all displayed some variance on the theme. In viewing the beautiful photographs that were a part of the competition, I began to think of how amazing it is that we have a device that can capture a moment in time such as the ones on display at the competition. The ability to take photographs and capture a moment is a gift not only for the photographer but also for the viewer of the photograph. One of the judges of the photography contest had this to say, "It seems appropriate that the 2012 Diocesan Convention competition should focus on photography -- an art medium often defined by illumination, human bonds, and faith. Illumination in that light is the "brush" the photographer uses to reveal a view of the world. Human bonds in the relationship and trust between artist and subject. Faith in the fact that many aspects of photography are dependent on factors beyond the artist's control." No matter what skill level a photographer possesses, the intentional act of capturing a moment of time on "film" is a gift for posterity. I will eventually regain my desire to photograph the world around me with frequency and intentionality.However, in this reflective rest from the world I love, I feel blessed to have been given the gift of taking and viewing life captured in the art of photography.

1 comment:

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Very beautiful, and very nice awards. The contribution is awesome and inspiring.
Thanks!!!
Love always,
Aunt Brenda - Memphis, TN

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...