Friday, July 23, 2010

Lately . . . and a trip to the ER


I have not had the chance to post anything lately because of the whirlwind of activities that have been occurring at the The Avery House. Since a week and a half ago, we have packed up the corporate apartment, moved our stuff from storage to our new home, set up beds, Internet service, TV's, etc. (you know, all the important things that are necessary in life), made a dent in the mountain of boxes that need to be unpacked, had furniture delivered, and the list goes on an on. Not a bad list, just a busy one in which posting to the blog was not a part of until today.

In the midst of all this I had a terrible fall out on the "construction site" at our house. I'd love to be able to tell an amazing story of how I was scaling the side of the new rock wall that the stone masons have so meticulously laid at the foundation of my home, or to tell you that I had a wild hair and thought about trying my hand at construction work. But alas, that is not the real story of how I came to fall here at the new homestead. I unfortunately was doing the mundane household chore of taking out the trash. In order to take out the trash one must trudge through a foot of mud and standing water outside the basement door. Some nice person had the idea of placing the enormous box lids, that cover the boxes of stone for our house, on top of the mud in order for people to be able to walk without getting their feet dirty. The only problem with that is that those boxes are coated with a wax like substance to keep water from penetrating them. This works great, however, when they are wet and you step on them, it is essentially like stepping on a sheet of solid ice, which brings me back to the falling incident. So there I was taking out the trash when I slipped and fell HARD. My arm came down on the box lid and was sliced open in two spots. Those of you who know me know that I was most definitely in a dress or skirt, so at the time of the fall, I was more concerned about the spectacle I had created with my skirt over my head than whether or not I was injured. I scooped up my pride, stepped back shakily into the house and came upstairs to assess the damage. Since I couldn't see the back of my arm, I couldn't tell how deep my injury was except to realize that it was gushing lots of blood. I called my neighbor who was unavailable and then Howie. Howie came home and administered first aid since I could not reach my arm. He also told me that the wound looked pretty bad and that I probably should head to the ER. I remained unconvinced until about 1:00pm after lunch and after consulting with my friend Vaiden and my doctor friend Angela who said, "Um yeah you need to go to the ER. What are you waiting for." So off I went and finally got to peek at the infamous wound. Yep, pretty bad. The doctor I saw was so kind and gentle. I have never had injury stitches before so it was all new to me. The worst part was just getting the shot to numb my arm. I'm not afraid of shots, but that numbing medicine stung like the Dickens! After it was all done, I walked away with 8 stitches, an antibiotic, and an advisory to not walk on construction site walkways. And perhaps a good story. So in a nutshell, there is our life as it is occurring day, by day. I will post pics (not of the injury) as soon as I can find my USB cable, which I hope is sooner than later. Until next time!

1 comment:

Brenda Ledbetter said...

Amy that brings me to tears that you in the mist of all you are trying to do had a fall like that. So sad you hurt yourself, it could have been much, much worse, fortunately you will be okay now, my heart goes out to you for the pain and hurt you must have felt and probably feel until it is completely healed. So glad your wonderful husband Howie was able, and did, come home and be with you. Be careful and we love and cherish you!!! Love always, Aunt Brenda - Memphis, TN.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...